- Your health
- Take care of yourself
- Women's health at any age
- Folic acid and multivitamins
- Reproductive life planning
- Men's health
- Health care providers
- Public health programs
- About us
Statewide Multivitamin Distribution Program
Free folic acid for low-income women of childbearing age
In 2010, The North Carolina (NC) General Assembly provided funding for the statewide distribution of multivitamins with folic acid to low income non-pregnant women of childbearing potential to help prevent birth defects. The NC Division of Public Health and the NC Chapter of the March of Dimes Foundation partnered to provide the multivitamins through health departments and other safety net providers. The program included the purchase and distribution of multivitamins, training for local health department and community health center staff, and technical assistance for participating agencies as they set up this program.
Due to the limited funding of this program, we are no longer accepting new participants for the program. Existing participants may continue to receive support through this online training module, or they may contact us to inquire about the availability of additional multivitamins.
Multivitamin Distribution Training
This is the online tool kit to support health departments, community health centers and other safety-net clinics who are participating in the statewide multivitamin distribution program. Here you'll find important information about the program, as well as training.
The steps to participate in the program are as follows.
- Please not that the vitamin ordering process has closed. Multivitamins are no longer available in large quantities. Multivitamins may be available on a small-scale limited basis to previously participating agencies. Please contact us for more information about the availability of additional vitamins.
- Read the Multivitamin Distribution Guidelines memo.
- Decide if you want to contact a regional coordinator for training or technical assistance. Check the map to see who that is.
- Online training can be used instead of or as a supplement to the in-person training. View the online training module and/or encourage any staff who wish to distribute vitamins to do so. Only those trained (online or in person) may distribute multivitamins.
- Prepare before your multivitamins arrive by printing out posters for your facility, reading the FAQ, choosing the right messages for the women you serve, ordering folic acid materials, and printing copies of the issuance log for all staff members who will distribute vitamins. Refer to the Program Documents for materials and links.
- Contact us if you have any questions or problems.
- Multivitamin Distribution Guidelines memo (for Health Departments)
- Multivitamins Distribution Guidelines memo (for Community Health Centers)
- Contact your local folic acid regional coordinator to set up a training or for technical assistance. We will provide order forms, a sample multivitamin issuance log, and related educational and promotional materials for your use. Download map here.
- Promotional flyer for offices, waiting rooms and exam rooms (Bilingual: English/Spanish)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Targeting your audiences with the right messaging
- Order free educational materials
- Sample issuance log
- Frequently Asked Questions in Spanish - Preguntas y Respuestas Frecuentes
- Targeting your audiences with the right messaging in Spanish - Cómo escoger el mensaje correcto para su audiencia